International Transient Study

As defined by Emory College of Arts and Sciences, transient study allows students the opportunity to enroll as a guest at another accredited school during the summer, while receiving credit toward their Emory degree.

International Transient Study is for students on F-1 or J-1 visa status, with less than 64 academic credit hours, who seek to return to their country of origin during the summer following their freshman year.

Students who want to complete transient study within the United States (Domestic Transient Study) must submit an application directly to the Office of Undergraduate Education. Students who want to complete transient study outside the United States in their home country must complete the International Transient Study application process with the Office of International and Summer Programs (OISP).

Eligibility for International Transient Study

To apply for International Transient Study, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at the end of preceding semester
  • Have completed their freshman year at Emory and will be returning to complete their sophomore year
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Be enrolled full-time at Emory College or Oxford College the semester prior to and following transient summer studies in their home country
  • Intend to enroll in an accredited university or institution in their home country
  • Be on J-1 or F-1 visa status in the USA (and can provide a copy of their I-20 or DS 2019 form)* 
  • Have fewer than 18 transfer credit hours on their Emory transcript (including the hours you plan to take during your transient study summer)**


*If you are not on a J-1 or F-1 visa, please contact OISP ( to see if you still are eligible.*  You may be asked to complete an appeal process through the ITS application.  In cases where students have lived in multiple locations abroad, 'home country' or 'country of origin' is defined as the country where the student completed their high school education.

**Beginning Fall 2018, and thereafter, entering first-year students may be granted a combined maximum total of 18 transfer credit hours (this includes any transfer credit hours that are on your Emory transcript such as IB, AP and transient study credit hours).

Application Process and Deadlines

If you are an international student seeking to study in your home country during the summer term, you must complete the International Transient Study online application. For questions, please contact

For students (both international and U.S. permanent residents) who would like to study overseas and who do not meet the eligibility requirements for International Transient Study, please make an appointment to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor to discuss available summer study abroad opportunities.